Further Up and Further In: Deepening my Relationship with Jesus




A good friend recently gave me a copy of Sarah Young's beautiful devotional book Jesus Calling. I had been wanting to read that book and use it in my prayer life for a long time, and it was highly recommended to me by several people. Since it is written as if Jesus were personally addressing me, the reader, it's highly intimate and really beautiful. 


Another good friend recently gifted me with a gorgeous journal. It was a graduation present, and at first I wasn't sure what I would use it for, since my journaling tends to come out in the form of blogs. :) However, when I realized that spending time with God often involves journaling, I instantly picked up the notebook and turned it into my place to write down my ramblings to Jesus. 


This morning I brought out my Bible, the journal, and Jesus Calling--and you know what? I didn't want to stop! I was drawn softly into a conversation with God--reading his love letter to me from his word, and writing my response to him--and it was incredible. 

I don't have much in the way of experience with "devotional life" or "prayer life" but I have purposed in my heart to grow closer to Christ. It doesn't have to be "boring." Contrary to popular belief, delving into the word of God and spending time in pouring out your heart to your savior is far from tedious--it's the sweetest form of fellowship you can ever experience. 



My prayer is that this habit will become a routine part of my day, as I take a few minutes out of my schedule to sit at the feet of Jesus, listening to worshipful music or perhaps singing it, and experiencing conversation. Not a religious ritual, but an intimate heart-to-heart talk with the creator of the universe, who just happens to be my King, my Daddy, and my Lover. 


Praising Him,
~Tori 







Comments

Popular Posts