Brave 


It's not always easy or possible, but 
Sometimes it does occasionally happen
That when I'm in the middle of nowhere
And I suddenly feel my throat closing
My chest explodes with pain and I
Feel the sense of impending dread that 
Comes with the all-too familiar panic 
And I feel the uncontrollable sense of wild
Fear that screams to be released as it
Courses through my shaking body like a
Rampant runaway vagrant on the loose
Suddenly, either at the touch of a friend
Or the whisper from a soft voice in my
Frightened and disconnected little ear
Something stirs inside of me and in the
Middle of that disorienting hurricane of senses
Going wild and rogue in my physicality
There remains something solid and strong
I take a deep breath and pull out my Sword
Pressing my fingers tightly together I
Whisper the Warrior Song to my soul and 
Bite my lips and close my eyes and breathe
Deep for however long it takes til I stop
Shaking because I know I am coming out
On top again with my sword in the enemy's 
Throat, I am a conqueror who thrusts my
Weapon deep into the flesh of the intruder
And flings off the oppressive spirit that
Weighs so heavily on my back, my chest
Inside my lungs, my throat, my innermost 
Self, my humanity, my femininity, my 
Personhood that has been overtaken by a 
Vicious foe determined to rob me forever
And yet I choke the thing that chokes
Me, I stab the thing that stabs me endlessly
Into the night and drown the thing that drowns
Me when I suffocate in the memory and suck 
In the poison of reliving or of hiding or of crying
I rise, taking the flaming blade from inside of me 
And carving the same horrible edge into the very
Enemy that uses it to take me down, because
The victory will never be in the hands of that vile
Monster, that foul beast that tries so hard to take
Away the innocence, the beauty, the joy, the smile
For it will never breathe its smoky breath down
My back and scald me with my own boiling blood
That streams from the smouldering wounds the beast
Inflicts upon me in my deepest self without suffering
In return; I will always make it pay the highest
Price for shoving me into the hell, the dark, the cell
The Soul is stronger; the blade that slices away the
Aching, wounded flesh and fills the heart with 
Rot and decay will be splintered into bits beyond 
Repair; I will emerge from the battles with scars
Bleeding, out of breath, crying, screaming, 
Covered in my own sweat and tears and drowning in 
Adrenaline, exhaustion, emotion, desire
My hands are full of the flowers I took back from the
Beast; the vile fiend stole them from me and yet
Here I am holding them again, their colors 
Soft and warm and vibrant, full of light and all
That is good, that is beauty, that is innocence
I will rise from the ground caked with dirt and 
Overcome by thirst, yet clutching in my fists the
Water the beast snagged from my soul, I will
Pour it over my head and into my mouth and 
Rising again and again I hold high the flaming sword
Once again I have slain my dragon; one day that
Vile monster will finally die forever and always and never
Torment me again, but until that day I will fight
I will grasp its throat and clutch my blade against its neck
As my army watches and the cheers that come from the
Desert battlefield ring through the confusion and bring
Back the light, the color, the hope, the love
And I mount the beast's corpse with my head high
The Minotaur has died again; here I stand
Victory in Light. 

Comments

Popular Posts