love is not a thing we make

A Man who Loved a Broken Woman 



Cold little trembling heart, be still, be warm;
Scared little downcast eyes, look up, look here;
For never will I make you frightened so-
Shy little lowered head, rise up, rise high;
Sweet little saddened face, be cheered, be calmed;
For never will I bring you shame or scorn
Don't you know I see you on the shadow road
And sigh because I want to make you feel the light? 
Even as I say your name I feel the gentle flicker
Underneath your gray come back to life. 

Still little silent voice, be roused, be heard;
Brave little beating heart, fight well, fight strong;
For always will I strain to hear the words you speak. 
Scarred little frightened hands, receive, release;
Bruised little aching soul, be whole, be free;
For always will I hold and keep you ever safe with me. 
Don't you know I hear your melancholy song at night
And cry because I want to give you back delight? 
Even as I hear your voice I sense the tender whisper
Far beneath your pain defeating strife. 

Strained little painful smile, be soft, be bold;
Wild little wounded girl, be safe, be strong;
For never will I strike the blow that knocks you down
So far away from me. 
Sad little frightened one, come here, be held
Small little timid soul, arise, emerge
Forever to embark upon the road of joyful peace. 
Don't you know I love your broken heart, 
Your shattered dreams, your grieving soul?
Even as I dry your tears I see the resolution 
Deep inside your inmost self to crush the dark;
To be made whole. 



Oh, my darling, if only you could feel the refuge I could give you...


Love is not a thing we make
Nor is it a thing we merely feel-
Love is that which breaks my heart and makes it sing for you
Above the dreary bleakness of the fog around your head...










Comments

Popular Posts