Why "The Past is in the Past" Isn't Really True



Another pain shoots up my leg
Snaking between my thighs like a serpent
Spreading its venom through my veins.
Casually I squint my eyes and bite my lip
Just ever so slightly, as if I am engaged
In the conversation I am having with another,
So rudely interrupted by the fang sinking deep
Into my body like a terrible divining sword.
Keep talking, I say. What were you telling me?

They continue, as my mouth dries up
And the oasis is just a desert now
With thorns like daggers that have no
Respect for persons, for safety, for love;
I take a slow breath and stand up straighter
They mustn’t see the pain I carry so deeply
Nor hear the screams echoing in my mind
That haunt my memory like ghosts of ghosts;
They mustn’t see the sweat on his brow
Nor smell the repulsive odor on his breath
As I squeezed my long frame into a ball
On the night that refuses to leave me.

I smile, my eyes widening and filling up
The air hits them and dries them out so
Now they must cry by necessity, though
They have no permission from me to do so.
My legs tremble and my lip quivers;
Are you alright, they want to know
But I cannot tell them of my agony
They won’t begin to understand.

Age sets in so quickly, you know
You seem fine, you feel fine, but
Really you carry so much, so deep, so wide
Try your best to smile, to laugh, to live
Wake up and drag yourself up and begin
Born to be twenty and I feel like sixty
My heart cries rivers everyday my eyes cannot
You gotta keep going, give all you got to them all
They need you, you want so much to love them
But are you enough, you wonder as you struggle
This is my rhythm of minute-by-minute existence
Pain was the pen that wrote the song to which
I must dance, even when my feet are sore
The music my shell, the words my anthem.

One day I will be enough, be whole, be well
Hope truly is all that’s left behind in the broken
Crumbled, the blurry, the smudged, the scratched
What was taken is gone; what is stolen is lost
Forward, now, my girl; forward you must go
Beacon of resistance, spearhead of victory

Rise up. Become. Hold on.




Comments

Popular Posts